[TenTec] Hello! (Now speaker distortion problem in O II)

Stuart Rohre rohre at arlut.utexas.edu
Mon Apr 11 15:33:00 EDT 2016

Bob, I would wonder if you are having capacitor coupled speaker problem.

If a DC current surge hits the speaker coil, the surge might cause the
coil of the cone to react so extremely as to temporarily cause the coil
to deflect off center and even stick.  Hence the distortion and time to
recover.  The speaker coupling capacitor should have a bleed off
mechanism, and not be all AC coupled, else the coupling cap could charge
up and deflect the speaker from previous operation time.  This might be
a resistor across the speaker of a high value, so the the coupling cap
does not stay charged up.  I think I would also cut the lead on one side
of the cap and check the cap for leakage, then restore the cut lead
point with a bridge of solder.

-Stuart Rohre
K5KVH