[TenTec] Sherwood Report Orion 1 and 2

terry foskey n5tf at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 28 17:24:27 EDT 2016

KW4BD -

Both Barry and I among many others here have owned both of the Orions.  Both are very close in performance with perhaps a slight edge on receiver characteristics on the Orion 2.  Gary  recently took ownership of my Orion 2.  I have owned and operated them side by side for a good period of time. I agree with Barry the difference is neglible.  Since you seem to have a definitive opinion, how about providing some specifics to support your assertion that my opinion i is not worth much - to use your sophisticated vernacular?  I will tell you this in advance, most user issues with the Orion, are due to the lack of operating knowledge of radios and the Orion specifically.  Let me explain, one must understand the purpose of RF Gain, AGC, Preamp, Filters, etc. - in simple English - The Radio needs a competent driver in order to produce the full potential.  For someone that is competent it is one of the best user interface radios I have ever operated - clever receiver/transmitter to antenna interface, excellent VFO interface, etc.    I await your specific critique so that we may continue this conversation......

N5TF,
Terry