[TenTec] Replacment Orion 565 Encoder Failure

Eric Rosenberg ericrosenberg.dc at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 22:33:51 EDT 2016

All,

Arek Tarniowy, AC2FC, did a nice job replacing the encoders and some other
work on my Orion in the spring, and all was well.

That is until this past weekend.

I was setting up for the NAQP and two encoders failed.

One (AF Main) turned with lots of resistance and then stopped turning at
all. The push-on/push-off function still works.

The other (PBT/BW) is very stiff when turning, and the push-on/push-off
toggle is very erratic.

The encoders Arek used were the ones recommended on the various TT email
reflectors.

Any thoughts on what happened, and either to repair or to replace them with
(with what)?  Arek, understandably, doesn't want to open up the radio
without knowing if there's a fix or newer/better encoder he should get
instead of the ones he put in.

I'm using N4PY's software and alternating between the TT and TMate 2 remote
encoders to control the encoder functions of both encoders. It allows me to
use the radio for the time being.

Any help is appreciated. I've copied Arek on this email.

73,
Eric W3DQ
Washingon, DC