[TenTec] OT: 7300 buy back program

rick@dj0ip.de Rick at DJ0IP.de
Mon Aug 15 13:33:04 EDT 2016

Well now I will disagree with Jim "slightly".

I don't think Icom over-sold the product;  Joe Ham overestimated the radio.

I think they let their wishes run away with their understanding.

As a kid I drove a VW Beetle; always wished for a Porsche at the price of
the Beetle, but alas it never came.
It was wishful thinking on my part, just as it was wishful thinking on the
part of our fellow hams.
I believe Icom has always defined this as an entry level radio to the direct
sampling world.

AND, if they ever bite the bullet and address the dither randomization
problem, perhaps it will become a decent radio.
It is possible.  ANAN had the EXACT same problem in the beginning and they
used the exact same ADC in the front end.  Took them one year to optimize
it, after Rob Sherwood pointed out the problem to them.

It remains to be seen if Icom will even admit there is an issue, let alone
address it.
After all, if they make this radio too good, how will they sell their 7600
DSR replacement?

PART II:  Front End Overload;  Again it is a dither issue to help cope with
strong front end overload.  However I am breathing down the neck of "the end
of my understanding" for this new technology here.  Now that the 40m
broadcast stations have moved out of our ham bands, a carefully designed
preselector can help a lot.  The problem is, nearly every direct sampling
receiver I know of does not have such a BPF except for the Flex 6500 and
6700, BUT NOT the 6300.  The second problem is, our Region 1 40m band ends
at 7200 with B'cast stations above that. In the states (Region 2) it goes up
to 7.3 MHz.  BEST CASE we would have two versions, one for the states with
300 kHz bandpass and one for EU with 200 kHz bandpass.  I don't have a clue
about condx in Asia.  Won't comment on that.

Personally I built a "tunable" 40m preselector nearly 40 years ago.  It's
3dB bandpass is just 30 kHz and it easily solves the problem Jim mentioned.
However I know of no source for these.  You'll just have to do as I did and
build your own.

I have finally obtained a direct sampling transceiver here (no known
name/brand) and am amazed how well it performs compared to my Eagle.  But I
am struggling like a Novice with the computer software control (i.e. HDSDR).
Unfortunately I was asleep at the wheel too many years.  I WILL CATCH UP!

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt, Germany)