[TenTec] Entry level

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Aug 17 13:03:54 EDT 2016

On Wed,8/17/2016 9:38 AM, Mike Pagel wrote:
> "Entry level" here was an Ameco AC-1T and Knight Kit Star Roamer -
> that setup gave me lots of incentive to save paper route money for a
> used HQ-170A and DX-60!

Mine was a Hallicrafters S-38D and a BC459 (40M Command set
transmitter). First upgrade was a second Command set, this one an ARC-5,
that my dad bought on "radio row" in lower Manhattan (demolished to
build the World Trade Center) and brought home to WV. I think he paid
$15 for it. Next upgrade was a BC348 receiver.

Several years later, I built a Heathkit Apache transmitter and bought a
used HQ129X, using the savings from several years of a summer job as
official scorer for Babe Ruth league games (for boys older than Little
League).

73, Jim K9YC