[TenTec] Fw: Re [Ten Tec}OT - Entry Level for Boys

Gary J FollettDukes HiFi dukeshifi at comcast.net
Fri Aug 19 23:52:58 EDT 2016

In 1962 I built Lew McCoy’s “Novice Gallon” or General 150 Watter”.

I used parts removed from old T sets from Bob’s TV in Sioux City, Iowa. I even got my power transformer from a TV set.

A really nice man from Friend Sheet Metal made my chassis for me at no cost.

I could not afford a plate meter so I used a small incandescent light bulb in series with the plate lead to tune for minimum brightness. Not the best practice, but it was what I had.

I took this over to John, K0AAR (SK), and he politely gave me a “D” for the assembly work and made me do it over again. The next timeI got a “B+” and it actually worked. i used it for many years, nd added a controlled carrier modulator to it, copied from a Heath DX-40.

This transmitter taught me everything I needed to know about high voltage safety. My electrolytics, all metal cans, were in series for the high voltage. I did forget, once, that one of those cans was HOT! and picked up the transmitter by the electrolytic cans while powered. Of course, I lived through it but  learned respect in a very vivid way. I never told my mom about this incident, not to her dying day...

My receiver was among the very worst in this thread, a Hallicrafters -20R, but it was all I could afford at the time.

My full-length dipole ran 2 feet from the house but 30 feet in the air, and about 10 feet from my neighbor’s bathroom.

My father was chatting with my neighbor one day, and the neighbor, a very bright man, told my father how strange things were the previous night. His bathroom fluorescent light began flashing on and off fairly quickly (about 20 wpm, I would guess). He was stupefied but my father knew EXACTLY what caused this but never “fessed up”. He got quite a few chuckles out of it even time he thought about it.

Gary

W0DVN