[TenTec] Entry level for boys

John Bescher n4dxi at aol.com
Mon Aug 22 16:30:25 EDT 2016

My college Freshman year at Rutgers, New Brunswick, NJ I lived in the dormitory but that did not stop me from hanging a 6 meter dipole out the window and conversing with my freshmen friend, Ralph Taggart, who eventually became the author of several Amateur Radio TV Books: I had my Heathkit Sixer  "Lunchbox" and Ralph had a home built portable 6 meter  transceiver about the size of a shoe box.

One afternoon Ralph came on the air urgently, calling me, K2UMQ.  An Army helicopter had an emergency landing near the football stadium and he was talking to the pilot.  Excitedly I ran to the ROTC building (it was mandatory in 1959) and reported the landing to the Army Captain there, head of the department.  Several officers jumped in their cars and headed to the "heights" where the stadium was located.

Apparently the pilot was lost.   Those were the days before GPS.  The pilot was disoriented,  landed, checked his maps, got his bearings and took off.  Thankfully in full view of the ROTC officials.  Ralph and I got full credit for our 6 meter capability and quick alarms.

We were the heroes of the ROTC department for several weeks.  You know Ralph and I aced the course.

Ah, the magic of 6 meters!

73....John Bescher, N4DXI