[TenTec] Orion 1 Dim Display Cure

Gary J FollettDukes HiFi dukeshifi at comcast.net
Tue Feb 9 09:47:29 EST 2016

As I was trying to make clear, I was NOT trying to find a buyer for mine as it is listed elsewhere.

I NEVER promote my “elsewhere” listings on the reflector.

The source for the illuminator is

Phone: 888-785-7288
sales at lcdparts.net <mailto:sales at lcdparts.net>

Thanks for using
www.lcdparts.net <http://www.lcdparts.net/>
MoniServ, Inc.

Order Information		Additional Information

)
	LB-LED LB20100LED2120X1
$59.99 x 1
$59.99
Subtotal: $59.99
Discount: $0.00
Shipping: $10.99
Sales Tax: $0.00
Total: $70.98

You need to remove the display from the CPU board, hinge the display open by bending the black metal tabs that hold the clamshell closed.

You remove the old LED strip by first unsoldering its wires from the display PC board and then carefully cutting the tape that holds it to the LCD panel. This is easier than it sounds.

You then tape the new illuminator to the place where the old one as, with the ends sticking out just a few mm further than the original. Use a very strong tape.

Then, in order that you may replace the black metal retainer, you need to remove about 2 by 2 mm of metal from the black piece to make a passage for the wires and excess length.

Close the thing back up and rebound the remaining metal tabs and all fits together with plenty of room all around.

I placed the driver board to the back of the S Meter shield with the double stick adhesive that came with the board. I took 12 volt power from the RFI filter on the CPU board, on the side away from the main supply so as to take advantage of the RFI filter.

I obtained the 8 volt “energize” voltage (applied to the yellow wire) from the same spot through a simple voltage divider. I used a similar divider to pull the white wire

It sounds like a lot but it took me only an hour to do it. That’s a pretty good return on investment!

I’ll probably do another one soon and will try to U Tube the process. Likely I will use simpler methods too but this was my first try at an Orion LD repair. ‘

I have done several Icom 756 and 756 Pro radios.

Feel free to share any of this, and post what is appropriate for the reflector at large. I just did not want to post to the reflector until the content was approved.

For your eyes only, look at my eBay listing number  381541521288 to see the end result.

Gary