[TenTec] Common Band Module Problems? -IF previous steps don't make the module work---

Stuart Rohre rohre at arlut.utexas.edu
Thu Feb 18 17:18:19 EST 2016

Jock, if my first steps to fix or service the contacts for the band
module signals that go to and from the radio don't make the module work,
then you should see if the transistors in the module are working.
They are not socketed and some DMMs have a transistor beta tester built
into the meter.  You would have to look up the schematic or part no. of
the active transistors to find out if you have NPN or PNP or FET.  It
has been some time since I looked at my first Scout module, and I don't
remember, but guess the active device was a common 3 terminal
transistor.  There is just enough room for fingers to probe around the
active devices.

Hopefully others will comment on module failures.

In my own Scout, it was loaned for Field Day one year, and folks
misusing the ALC, or running the radio without the antenna,  managed to
blow the finals. The symptoms were extremely low power output to a known
good antenna.  (High temperatures outdoors that year did not help.)

But since your post relates only some modules are affected, I think my
first post may hold the fix for you.

-Stuart Rohre
K5KVH