[TenTec] 229 and 238 tuners mod

rick@dj0ip.de Rick at DJ0IP.de
Fri Feb 19 07:57:02 EST 2016

Rob is right.
And we should also build or own cars because we can all build better cars
than what GM and Ford (etc.) are selling us.  ;-)

Rob, as perfectly correct as your email was, it is no longer a viable
solution for 90% of the hams out there today.  A couple of guys might
actually manage to find what they need at hamfests, but there aren't enough
components available to support the masses.

To categorically claim all Palstar and all MFJ matchboxes are bad is not
fair either.
They were designed for the kind of antennas most hams use today, not for the
openwire antennas of yesteryear.

In order to have a good match to an openwire fed antenna, you need two
things:
1). A means of matching
2). A means of managing the Common Mode Current (CMC) which sometimes can be
hefty.

The old Link-Coupled tuners Rob speaks of were great and inherently had an
advantage in coping with CMC.  But there are way now days to do it using
today's products.
It is only a huge challenge if you insist on doing it with 1500w.
It's all about choice of balun and where you physically locate it.

If you are running 500w or less, it's a piece of cake.

The built in baluns of most antenna tuners are totally worthless.
The only exceptions (and that just recently) are on the larger manual
matchboxes from MFJ.  They have finally switched to a 1:1 current balun with
multiple cores.
This is what is required for coping with severe cases of CMC.

As VK1OD writes, it is best to mount the 1:1 current balun external from the
tuner in a plastic box, away from any metal.

The recommendation for 4:1 balun (as the only balun) under any circumstances
is bad advice.  The balun should always be a 1:1 current balun.  Of course
if you have an older symmetrical matchbox (Johnson or Annecke) you don't
need any balun at all.

Using the 1:1 current balun does not prohibit also using a 4:1 balun as a
transformer, in addition to the 1:1, but it should only be switched in when
absolutely necessary.

For more detailed technical information on this, see my web page on tuner
baluns.
I have compiled a list of technical papers on this topic from W8JI, G3TXQ,
VK1OD, etc.
Links to each of these is listed at the bottom of this page:
http://www.dj0ip.de/balun-stuff/tuner-baluns/

AGAIN, if you think you have to run legal power all the time, you should
look elsewhere for an antenna.

If you run moderate power and design the matching scheme correctly, it will
work just fine.  It does not have to be a Rich Measures mega-solution -
though his matchbox is indeed a masterpiece!

Running openwire fed antennas is not difficult but it's not exactly
"plug-n-play" either.  You have to understand a little bit about the
impedances you will be confronted with on the various bands.  AND DON'T
EXPECT YOUR TRANSCEIVER'S BUILT IN TUNER TO BE ABLE TO DO THE JOB.
(Exception: Elecraft in some cases).

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt, Germany)