[TenTec] Selling T-T SCOUT will swap for T-T Centaur amp

rick@dj0ip.de Rick at DJ0IP.de
Tue Feb 23 04:27:51 EST 2016

The Centaur was a good design but 20 years late.
If we had been able to get the same quality of tubes that we had back in the 70s and if Joe Ham today had the same attitude as Joe Ham in the 70s (i.e. read the book before operating), then the Centaur would have been an outstanding amp.

I had it and loved it as a portable amp.
However when it was announced that the last non-Chinese tube manufacturer was ceasing production, I sold it.

Was a mistake.  I should have just ordered a couple sets of tubes.

It would be cool if someone could come up with a mod to use a single Russian tube instead of the 3x 811A tubes.  For instance a GU7B would be a lovely replacement.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt, Germany)

-----Original Message-----
From: TenTec [mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com] On Behalf Of David Perrin
Sent: Monday, February 22, 2016 11:29 PM
To: Tentec reflector
Subject: [TenTec] Selling T-T SCOUT will swap for T-T Centaur amp

    I am selling my T-T Scout with 5 band modules, hand mic., mobile bracket, DC cord, manual … and a Heath 25A 13V DC power supply total value $600. I will swap it on a Centaur amplifier, or any other QSK amp.
    Did you know that the Scout new cost $549 with, as I recall, one band module. Modules were $55 each, and their mobile bracket was about $15. Total approx. Total $784 then, plus a DC supply. They seem to work endlessly. The only issue is that if the voltage drops below 12V they don’t do CW well.
    The Centaur new cost was $749. Huh! Less than a well equipped Scout. Their reputation is not as stellar as the Scouts. However to me it has two interesting points: QSK, and it is one of the few pieces of Ten-Tec gear that I have not owned. So, I want to see what it is all about.
	I can bring it to the Vermont State Convention and flea market this weekend in S. Burlington, VT or you can try it here.
    Contact me off list, please.
    73 de dave k1opq.nh at gmail.com