[TenTec] TenTec Digest, Vol 157, Issue 5

Al Gulseth wb5jnc at centurytel.net
Wed Jan 6 10:13:22 EST 2016

OK, I need to jump in here. I had held off posting this because of the amount
of traffic on this subject, but the cost to the company is more likely much
higher than that. My source? a friend of mine who is retired from a fairly
far up the food chain HR position at a well-known company you'd instantly
recognize. A while back I was discussing the folks pushing for a $15 minimum
wage with him, and like Duffy, thought 50% overhead was about right. He made
the surprising (at least to me) statement that the cost to the company where
he did HR was _over double_ the employee's hourly wage or salary. According
to his statement this would put labor cost alone at $80+ for the $40/hr.
example. Add to this all the other overhead including environmental regs
(electronics = hazardous material) and I can see the reason for the announced
labor rate. To put this in perspective, a computer service company I worked
for on a contract in the past charged $105/hr. - over 20 years ago. (And no,
that wasn't the rate they were paying me....)

73, Al