[TenTec] Pimp My Eagle -outdoor safety for antenna work

rick@dj0ip.de Rick at DJ0IP.de
Fri Jan 8 17:10:48 EST 2016

One rule I find missing Stuart, which we implemented in our BCC club is "no
climbing in the dark."

On one of our contest expeditions back in 1988 we still had a couple guys up
towers by dark, on top of one of the tallest mountains in Liechtenstein
(HB0), and it was cold (near freezing) and snowing.  The wind was also
blowing hard.  That was the SSB CQWW CW at the end of October.

30 days later at the CW expedition to Luxembourg, we implemented new rules
(at my insistence) prohibiting climbing after dark.  I also began waking
people at 6 am in the morning so that we would be able to capitalize on the
limited number of daylight hours in late November.

It took us one week to erect all of the towers and antennas.  The first 2
days a few of the young kids didn't want to get up.  They took cold showers
inside their sleeping bags.  Of course I carried them into the shower and
got just as wet and cold but after that, everyone got up when I told them
to.

Safety is indeed very important.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt, Germany)