[TenTec] Mobile

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sun Jan 10 18:26:55 EST 2016

On Sun,1/10/2016 11:41 AM, Mike Smith VE9AA wrote:
> I have been watching literally for YEARS for TEN-TEC to come out with a mobile or very small portable rig, so I can buy one (even at our reduced exchange rate) and put it in the car or take camping etc.

Take a look at the Elecraft KX3. It's a first quality 10W radio, very
small, very low current drain for backpacking. One of my old buddies in
Chicago, K9IKZ,  mounted one in his Audi. There's also an outboard 100W
amp in a brick format that integrates very nicely with it. All it takes
between them is CAT5, coax, and power. There's also an auto-tuner option
for the amp.

FWIW, Elecraft is the kind of company that Ten Tec USED to be. The
owners are engineers and active hams, and both monitor their email
reflector every day.

73, Jim K9YC