[TenTec] 3.1 KHz IF Filter for 2nd IF in Omni 6

Gary J FollettDukes HiFi dukeshifi at comcast.net
Mon Jan 11 12:10:29 EST 2016

Early Omni 6 radios did not have DSP noise reduction. The plain Omni 6 did have an analog audio Notch Filter function via U5 on the IF/AF board.

The original Omni 6 did have DSP auto notch in SSB as well as programmable CW offset and a CW digital lowpass filter. No mention is made of any audio low pass filtering in SSB.

So yes, the original DID have some DSP functions but not very much (sorry for saying “no DSP”, I should have said “limited DSP”). From my personal listening experience, they did not do any low pass filtering of the audio in SSB in the first version.

An early Omni 6 had a sound very similar to that of an Omni 5, to my ears. Not perfectly “natural” but not terrible.

73,

Gary