[TenTec] Mobile

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Jan 13 13:28:57 EST 2016

On Wed,1/13/2016 7:21 AM, John Henry wrote:
> I remember seeing a key in Jack Burchfield's car.
> He had it under the arm rest in the center of the seat, what I found interesting, he had it facing forward.

I haven't worked HF mobile for nearly 10 years, but when I did, I mostly
worked CW. Around 1980, I set my Omni A Series B on the bench seat of a
'78 Chevy wagon, using an AEA CK-1 and paddle. I don't recall where I
set the paddle, but I'm a leftie, so it may have been on top of the rig.
This is before there were center humps in most cars. I used it on a long
driving vacation that took me into the Ozarks, and it was from there
that I worked K4FW, Al Kahn, founder of both Ten Tec and Electro Voice.
I also worked a DX contest driving around Chicago, a CD party on a trip
to Baltimore, and a lot of ragchewing driving through Chicago traffic.
All CW. I didn't log the contest operation.

The next time I ran HF mobile was after getting back on the air in 2003.
I'd given that Omni to a new ham, bought a used Omni V+, and an FT100D
for my S80 Volvo. That car had a very nice leather center arm rest, and
I set my paddle on it.

In the interest of staying happily married, I ONLY operate mobile when
my XYL is NOT in the car.

73, Jim K9YC