[TenTec] Omni VI instability, TCXO worth it?

Peter Bertini radioconnection at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 10:57:23 EDT 2016

I was able to find a used one for 50 bucks.  TenTec was getting up to
$150.00 bucks the new board at one time.

It is a cheapTXCO 20-MHz DIP oscillator package mounted on a PC board.  It
replaces the reference oscillator section in the radio.  EBay used to be
loaded with precision, settable DIP package 5-volt 20 MHz TXCO packages
that had good long term stability.  Do not use the non adjustable versions
that have poor accuracy and also not adjustable.

They are getting a bit rarer, but it should be easy to find 3.3 volt DIP
packages that will work, with some interfacing.   I modified two Omni
radios to use external TXCO references.  If I have time,  I will write up
something for Barry's TenTec Wiki.

There is a  less than ten dollar solution to fixing those rigs.

Pete