[TenTec] OT: Question to the group

rick@dj0ip.de Rick at DJ0IP.de
Thu Jul 14 04:19:21 EDT 2016

Bob,

You said:  "Output power is no good if you can't hear."

This is exactly why I said you need a 14-bit ADC/DAC and not 12-bit.
The dynamic range improves significantly with the extra 2 bits.

In recent years, most transceivers' transmitter dynamic range has been 10 to
20 dB worse than its receiver.
There is no excuse for this.  The should be close to equal.

As for power, I was speaking of 50w SSB/CW, not continuous duty.

The 50w Johnson Navigator was rated 50w "input power", not output power.
I believe it was about 35w out . . .  all day long.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt, Germany)

-----Original Message-----
From: TenTec [mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com] On Behalf Of Katz Ajamas
Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2016 4:28 AM
To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Question to the group

Dear Rick-

Output power is no good if you can't hear. I mean both ways. RX and TX must
be clean.

More power is not that difficult to come by.

It will be interesting of someone brings a modular system to market.
I think we will see this with digital as the same code can run on a wide
range of hardware to offer different performance/$. This can be the core of
a radio.
This core and firmware can be the IP with all the interfacing open. This
same core can then be used with appropriate analog hardware for everything
from 2200 meter to sub-mm.

The Ettus research (actually National Instruments now) folks have something
along these lines.
Their radio run GNU radio. Some will also run Labview.
Their USRBP200 or if I'm feeling flush, the 210 will be my next radio.

As an aside. The Eagle is rated:
"AM,FM,AFSK,PSK Duty Cycle:continuous service @100W, 50% duty cycle (Tx/Rx)"
In my book, this is a 50W transmitter.

The 50W Johnson Navigator will hold 50W all day long.
The 100W Drake TR-7 will hold 100W carrier output all day long.

73, -Bob ah7i/w4