[TenTec] OT: Simple antenna software w/impedance

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Jul 18 18:00:51 EDT 2016

On Mon,7/18/2016 2:38 PM, Peter Klein wrote:
>  It seems like the best antenna for me will be a horizontal loop fed
> with 450 or 300 ohm line.

Why does it "seem" that way?  Here's some actual science specifically
intended on choosing between various antenna options.
http://k9yc.com/AntennaPlanning.pdf

One thing it clearly shows is that a GOOD vertical mounted in the range
of 20-30 ft can be a very effective antenna on the HF bands, especially
if you happen to live where the ground conductivity is good. According
to this map,

https://www.fcc.gov/media/radio/m3-ground-conductivity-map

your ground conductivity isn't very good, but I would still consider on
of the R-series verticals at roof level. If you mount it on a pole, it
needs to be a non-conductive pole.  Don't even think of mounting it at
ground level. The tutorial shows why.

If you decide to go with a horizontal antenna, higher is better.

If you don't already own a copy of the ARRL Antenna Book, now would be a
REALLY good time to buy one.  The ON4UN book is also quite good for 160,
80, and 40M antennas.

73, Jim K9YC