[TenTec] TEN TEC 960 Power Supply Capacitor

Al Gulseth wb5jnc at centurytel.net
Fri Jun 10 16:01:58 EDT 2016

Rick,

Several possibilities:

1) The cap may be breaking down and leaking across the dielectric internally.

But before you condemn it on that basis, check the following:

2) The bridge rectifier could be breaking down and causing an issue, although
that should normally blow the input fuse.

3) It could be as simple as the connector screws on the cap getting loose/not
making proper contact. (This is a known issue with some of the Astron linear
supplies, and I also seem to recall a TT factory mod/service bulletin for the
960 and/or some of the other power supplies of that family/era.)

73 es GL, Al