[TenTec] SOTA RADIO

rick@dj0ip.de Rick at DJ0IP.de
Thu Mar 17 04:30:27 EDT 2016

EXCELLENT POINT JIM:  having the owner or a senior engineer who actually
uses the gear himself is priceless!

I have thought for years now that none of the Japanese companies have anyone
in a senior position actually using this stuff.  Stuff like key clicks
(Yaesu), ALC spikes (Kenwood) and user unfriendly menus would not exist if
they did.

LONG AGO, Al Kahn and Jack Burchfield were contesters.

Al was not only big into DX contests, he and W4KFC actually rescued CQWW DX
contest from going under when CQ Magazine changed management and was run by
people not interested in the contests.

Jack preferred the SS contests which back then ran at a faster pace than the
DX contests.

Their "likes" were reflected in the radios they designed, built and sold.

We all get old; when the Argo6 was designed, I think Jack failed to
recognize that the younger ones among us (and Jim who thinks he's still
young) want stuff they can run up mountains with and run off of batteries.

IMO this is also the problem FLEX has.  Gerald was never a contester and I
think the new Sun Expert MB-1 and Icom's IC-7300 will prove he was totally
wrong in thinking and preaching that radios do not need knobs.

On the bright side, Mike (Dishop) is a long time Ten-Tec user and loves his
Orion.
We know that Ten-Tec is listening to us here.
I believe Ten-Tec will be around for a while.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt, Germany)