[TenTec] Choosing A Backpacking Radio

rick@dj0ip.de Rick at DJ0IP.de
Sat Mar 19 03:59:52 EDT 2016

According to the manual, the Argonaut 509 weighs 6#.
I sure don't recall it being that heavy but that's what the book says.
Power consumption is about 135mA no audio, and 160mA max audio when
listening to a signal.
I used it with a 1A power supply but don't recall the actual current drain
on TX.

It shocks me sometimes to see pictures who climb for hours, reach the top,
then put up a tooth pick.
Leave the amp home and take an antenna.  I concur with Jim.  If I walk that
far, I want to work a lot of stations.

I have 3 different fiberglass poles, all different lengths and weights.
One fits in a back pack and extends to 33 ft.  It's sold by my competitor,
not by my company.
The two longer ones are carried by hand and use like a walking stick.
I just put duct tape on the bottom to protect them.

The antenna I use does not need a ground or radials.
It is coax fed and works good on 7 bands without switching.
It works without a tuner on 40/20/15/10 and with tuner on the WARC bands.
There will be a test review in the May issue of QST... another month or so.

Jim will hate it, but it sure is nice to change bands without having to drop
the pole!

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt, Germany)