[TenTec] SOTA RADIO: charge your batteries by hiking to the summit?

rick@dj0ip.de Rick at DJ0IP.de
Sat Mar 19 03:40:08 EDT 2016

What antenna are you using?
I have never had any problem working lots of stations with QRP.
You just have to get your wire a bit higher!

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt, Germany)

-----Original Message-----
From: TenTec [mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com] On Behalf Of Jack
Emerson
Sent: Saturday, March 19, 2016 12:10 AM
To: wb5jnc at centurytel.net; Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment
Subject: Re: [TenTec] SOTA RADIO: charge your batteries by hiking to the
summit?

I've been busy with work this week and haven't had time for my 2 cents worth
on sota/radios/etc.
But generally speaking, anything N1EU says on the subject I would take as
gud as gold.
I was pulled kicking and screaming into sota 3 years or so ago, tnx to N4LA,
and now am really into it.
The gear I take has evolved to where I now usually use a kx-3 with the 100
watt amp that goes with it, and more often than not, I carry 2 of the little
batteries with me. Running the amp at around 50 watts, I can get about 4
hours of use from the 2 batteries.
For my paddle, I use the GHD mini paddle sold by Morse Express.
I use an amp because I grew tired of hiking to the top of some mountain and
only working a handful of stations.

As for the hiking, last summer I did maybe 10 activations, and had to hike
in to most of them. Some of the hikes were very long and tiring. Over the
course of last summer, I lost 45 pounds. Now I was doing other things to
lose weight in addition to the sota hikes, but those hikes played a big role
in my weight loss.

With Spring right on the cusp, I would urge anyone who is thinking about it
to give sota a try. If I can get hooked on it, anyone can. In my case,
before I tried it, I would beg off, saying that sota combined 2 of my least
favorite activities, qrp and foot marches. But one sota activation was all
it took to make me a believer. I'm still not into qrp, as evident by the
little amp and extra battery that I now carry with me, but it is an
extremely fun and challenging activity that will burn a few pounds off as
well.

73 de Jack W4TJE
Fancy Gap, VA