[TenTec] Oll & Digital Modes

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Mar 28 12:56:00 EDT 2016

Hi Andy,

I don't know the Orion II, but you must put any rig into TX mode. This
can be done either via some form of PTT or VOX.  Some rigs will take
audio from a Line Input (like the USB audio unit) and some do not. My K3
DOES let the Line Input activate VOX. So did the FT1000MP that I sold
about 8 years ago.

If you ARE using VOX, check the VOX sensitivity -- you may need to
either increase the VOX sensitivity or increase the audio output of the
computer sound card.

VOX has always worked very well for me for all digital modes. I work a
lot of RTTY for contesting and DX chasing, and the various WSJT modes on
6M and 160M.

Another thing that can prevent keying with RTTY (not not the other
digital modes) is the RTTY settings (Baud rate, RTTY tone frequencies)
must be the same on both computer and rig.

Another thing that has bitten me in MMTTY is that every time you change
the decode algorithm, it pulls in the default settings from a config
file. So you may make a change, then change the decode setting, and
overwrite the change you made. I don't know the other programs you
tried, but they may have their own bear traps.

This analysis of USB sound cards includes very detailed, step by step
procedures for setting audio levels for digital modes.
http://k9yc.com/USB_Interfaces.pdf

73, Jim K9YC