[TenTec] reballing a Dragon

John Henry jshenry1963 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 13:03:23 EDT 2016

The problem wasn't always in reballing.
There were problems in that the part sat on a shelf for 15 years, not in a
clean room, and somewhere along the line got hit with ESD, or too hot one
day, random circuits inside the chip failed, etc.

I do however doubt that if 20 people tried to scavenge some dragonballs and
had to replace it, well, maybe 4 in 20 would be happy at the end of the
day, the other 16 would probably be buying a new rig. just my two cents.
So many pitfalls along the way, the chips are at least 15 years old,
storage, excessive heat, etc.
Yield of TEN-TEC trying to do this using a couple of excellent BGA board
houses to replace them was very low.

73, KI4JPL
John Henry