[TenTec] Just replaced the backlight on my T-T Delta II

Gary J FollettDukes HiFi dukeshifi at comcast.net
Sun May 8 21:57:25 EDT 2016

I have replaced an Orion illuminator and half a dozen Icom 756 xxx illuminators with excellent results using LED’s from LCD Parts.

They sell drivers if your radio’s controller is not compatible with a particular lamp that you want to use.

Ten Tec uses the LED’s in triads in series, and a few triads in parallel. That makes the allowable drive voltage about 3.7 volts. This is pulse width modulated to hold the brightness (and heat) down.

The LCD Parts LED’S are all in series, thus requiring ~13.8 volts drive, also pulse width modulated.

I did manage to do my last install and preserve some degree of brightness adjustment using the original brightness control on my last Pro 3 and am certain this would work on the Orion as well.

However, Ten Tec did not make the illuminator brightness a consumer adjustment in the Orion (I do not know why) and I cannot even find it in the service manual. I am assuming they set the PWM duration to the level they thought gave good illumination, reasonable heat and good  lifetime.

I guess 14 years would be defined as good lifetime…

Ten Tec were was ahead of everyone else at the time with their LED illuminators as all of the competition then used CFL’s, which stink, have always stunk and always will stink. Short lifetime, ugly color rendition, slow achievement of equilibrium, toxic material in large quantities, very fragile, require very high voltage. YUK! I won’t even use them for household illumination any more.

Gary
W0DVN