[TenTec] [Ten Tec} Mike Element

JAMES HANLON knjhanlon at msn.com
Tue May 10 13:57:10 EDT 2016

Y'all,

I worked on electrical connectors of all types for Bell Labs and for Sandia National Labs before I retired in 2003.  From my professional experience, I want to recommend a Connector "Lubricant" which will protect clean contacts from corrosion, both chemical corrosion and "fretting  corrosion" which occurs when vibration causes contacts to rub against each other on a microscopic scale and to pull out small pieces of contact material which then corrode - usually oxidize or sulfide - and then become non-conductive cinders that block the contacts open.  This occurs when contacts are subjected to vibration as they might be in an aircraft, an automobile, or a machine environment.  This material prevents oxidation or sulfurization by filling the interstices between the contacts with liquid lubricant which then blocks the ingress of gasses which carry the corrosive elements to the contact materials.  I would recommend it for use on those microphone element connectors and for PWB connectors if they are causing trouble as well.

The magic lubricant is "ILFC Ten-06 CON-TAC."   It is made by International Lubrication and Fuel Consultants, located in Rio Rancho, New Mexico.  The web page for the lubricant is at http://www.ilfcinc.com/ilfc-ten-06/ .  A very small amount will go a long way  - I'd probably use a Q-tip or an artist's paint brush to apply a very thin coating on connector contact surfaces.  If I needed some I'd contact ILFC, they are a very small company, and explain what I needed.  they are pretty friendly, and they will probably find a way to get you what you need.

Jim Hanlon, W8KGI