[TenTec] O2- S-meter adjust.

gunnerjuulnyholm at me.com gunnerjuulnyholm at me.com
Wed May 11 11:55:41 EDT 2016

Hi,

I seek an understanding of the difference in counts for the default settings of the S-meter. I’m rather new in this forum, maybe it has been explained long ago. If  so I would like a reference.

Normally the difference between S-units should be 6 dB, and I’m sure TT has tried to  be precise.The counts are not far off, but the count intervals vary rather much. However, there must be a reason for the uneven intervals in counts. An oldfashioned AGC could easily be much more linear in S-meter reading, so I wonder if it is caused by conflicting  or anticipated operational settings involving the DSP action?  NR, AGC decay speed, hang time, RF Gain?

I was triggered by a signal on 40 m CW reading close to S+60 by a station which couldn’t possibly (>500 km away) generate a 50 mV signal at the antenna plug.

If I had a calibrated RF generator I would of course have calibrated the S-meter. But I don’t. Has anybody tried to check the default settings?

73, OZ6NF, Gunner