[TenTec] QSK switching diodes in Scout

Al Gulseth wb5jnc at centurytel.net
Mon May 16 22:11:00 EDT 2016

Clifton Labs has a writeup which might be of interest in this regard:

<snip> It's commonly understood that the 1N4007 has an special junction
structure resembling a PIN diode and it has, of course, been widely used as
a "poor man's PIN diode" in RF power switching. Elecraft, for example, uses
1N4007 diodes for transmit/receive switching in both its 10 watt and 100 watt
option K2 transceiver.

Used as a quasi-PIN diode for RF power switching, the 1N4007 takes advantage
of the lengthy reverse recovery period, which prevents it from rectifying the
high frequency signal it is switching. (This is because the reverse voltage
half-cycle period of, say, a 3.5 MHz signal is much shorter (140 ns) than the
reverse recovery time. Hence, if forward biased with DC, any reverse bias
from RF negative half-cycles don't last long enough to neutralize the
1N4007's excess minority carriers. Hence, the 1N4007 stays forward biased and
presents a low impedance to the full RF cycle. There's a minimum frequency
for this effect which we see from the trace below. With a bias current in the
60 mA range from the 8012B pulse generator, we see the following voltage
waveform. <snip>

http://www.cliftonlaboratories.com/diode_turn-on_time.htm

73, Al