[TenTec] Some advice, please

Wes Attaway (N5WA) wes at attawayforensics.com
Thu May 19 16:51:29 EDT 2016

Jim:

The others are correct in that you have tackled a big subject, but I
think you can handle this by carefully choosing what you want to talk
about.  If you are giving a hamfest talk you certainly do not need to
talk about every single tiny detail of the advancements in ham radio
since the days of Marconi.

After being in the newspaper business for almost half of my business
career I can tell you that whatever elements you choose to present you
will have some "copy editor ham radio expert" question why you included
this and excluded that.

I don't know how long your talk is, and this certainly makes a
difference.

I think it would be better to cover the high spots over the time span
and not worry about the fine details of every radio that came out with
some new bell or whistle.  A few list people have made some suggestions
(DSP, SDR, etc) and you should mention these and some applicable radios,
and show plenty of pictures.

I don't think you need to give a treatise on how everything works.  You
have to treat this somewhat like a good newspaper reporter would and try
to stick to the basic timeline and point out the highlights.

It is much harder to trim a presentation (or news story) down to
manageable size than it is to throw everything into the pot.  The task
ends up forcing you to crystalize your ideas and to keep the
presentation on target.