[TenTec] Centurion Amp - early model, looking for advice

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu May 26 20:23:02 EDT 2016

On Thu,5/26/2016 5:15 PM, kr2q at optimum.net wrote:
> The idle current does NOT change between standby and operate.  It is over 100 mils
> (just under the "second line" on the meter or almost 2/3rds of .2 amps.)

I don't have one of these amps, but I do have three Titans. Ten Tec (and
probably most mfrs) develop bias from the low voltage supply (28VDC in
the Titans), and both LV and HV supplies are turned on by the main power
switch. The Standby/Operate switch, combined with other logic (including
the TX control line from the transceiver), puts the amp in TX mode.

Bottom line -- I agree that some component failure is likely the cause
of the high idle current. Ten Tec used to publish schematics of their
gear. Don't know if they did for this amp. I've put a 99% version of the
Titan schematic on my website. k9yc.com

73, Jim K9YC