[TenTec] New TT Rig

lstoskopf at cox.net lstoskopf at cox.net
Sun May 29 18:40:48 EDT 2016

What did we TT owners prize in our top line rigs?  Low oscillator phase noise, fast switching on CW,  (two knobs), clean operating interface, US made, top Sherwood ratings.  List if probably longer.

TT needs to come out with a solid rig with an easy interface at a reasonable price........  Lacking those there is no reason to throw money into the market.

The beautiful LO synthesis scheme on the Orions probably can be matched with new devices/architecture at lower cost assuming the classic analog filter scheme is used.  However, I suspect that it simply is easier and cheaper to go the way of the SDR folks as performance can match or exceed the filter approach with today's devices.

However, personally I prefer an Orion or Omni style box with a separate computer display to watch the band.  I feel that any attempt to compete in the 40+ bands on the screen at once, etc. market by what is basically a startup company is doomed at the start.

With the coming levels of SSN (and the expectation that any rig you buy now will probably be left in the dust before the next cycle is underway), if I were Mike I would find an experienced receiver designer, sorry Sabin and his generation are gone or almost gone, make sure he understands Chadwick's article at:    https://www.flexradio.com/downloads/qex_may2002-pdf/, do a simple survey on a list like this on what TT devotees want or perhaps need, and let him (her?) loose to see what comes up.  Perhaps Mike has already is doing this.

FWIW:  I chatted with Chadwick at the RSGB convention a couple of years ago about his writing that the diverse ideas that showed up in Technical Topics in the RSGB journal in reference to his writings.  He had been a tech rep for Plessey and I happened to have, years ago, built a very good rig using the now discontinued Plessey 1600 line.  We both agreed that there were many ways to build a good rig as TT demonstrated.  It looks more and more that equipment with very good AD converters and slick processing may be unbeatable, but.....

Going to be fun to see how this all plays out.

N0UU