[TenTec] Corsair I gone bad!

Mike Bryce prosolar at sssnet.com
Wed Nov 2 14:26:35 EDT 2016

Joe,

it’s far from a parts unit! Heck I’ve repaired a lot worst.

If you’re getting only half power out, I’m going to assume that you have lost one of the pa transistors. The tripping of the power supply tells me one has went south. It’s not a dead short, or you won’t be able to even power the PA up.

There could of course be other issues, but without seeing the rig, I’ll go with the first one, and that’s a FUBAR transistor.

Ten Tec PA aren’t that hard to fix. Coax in, coax out, +13, and T/R control/ Bias voltage. Four screws and it will fall into your hand.

Best bet would be to use a VOM and check the Base/collector then collector/emitter tabs of the PA transistors. I suspect you’ll find one that has very low resistance.

Mike, WB8VGE

Mike Bryce
prosolar at sssnet.com

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never  know if they are genuine”

—Abraham Lincoln