[TenTec] Power Connectors

Ben Antanaitis - WB2RHM wb2rhm at wb2rhm.com
Sat Nov 5 12:36:44 EDT 2016

FYI-
 From a 2009 posting to another group:
The thing that disturbs me the most about the DC
connector problem, (and before I looked into it,
I had replaced the 'stock' parts 4 times), is
that for years Ten Tec advertised "100% Key Down
operation" when the optional fan unit was
purchased and attached to the heat sink on the
rear of the 565 and they supplied a DC power
cable (and a replacement connector and pins).
Well, if you read the specs for the 565 you will see:
"The ORION transceiver requires a source of
well-filtered and regulated DC voltage. The
supply voltage can range from +12.8 to
+15.0 Vdc but +13.8 Vdc is the optimum
value. The voltage source must be capable
of supplying 22 amperes continuous duty.
We recommend using the included DC
power cable (P/N 86095). We have also
included spare connector pins (P/N 41020)
and a spare 2 pin power connector shell
(P/N 35165)   (Tyco/AMP Mate-and-Lock)  for building your own cable.
The power supply plug will attach in only
one direction to the polarized two-pin DC
connector on ORION's rear panel. Use no
less than #14 gauge (#12 recommended)
stranded wires for three-foot long <-- note 3 foot cable
connections to accommodate the required
current demand during transmit. Use
heavier gauge wire for longer power supply
leads."
BUT, if you read the Tyco/AMP Mate-and-Lock specs
for the socket, plug, and pins......  (Tyco
documents 108-1031 and 114-1010 and 108–1053).
You will see a 15 amps max current capacity for
normal product use on the socket and the plug,
and 20 amps as the product absolute limit for the
221 degrees temperature for the plug housing.
Note that that 20 amps max is only 90% of the Ten
Tec specified Power Supply minimum constant DC
current requirement. No safety factor margin here.
Is this sloppy engineering, bad engineering, or cost of part engineering?
Now, for example, if you are a high duty cycle
mode operator, and I am a RTTY contester and RTTY
is almost 100% duty cycle under contest
conditions.... the pins overheat and then the
housing overheats and that leads to total
connector failure over time..........  smelling, smoking, burning, oh my!
I have been told that the connector, pins, and
socket are specified correctly...... I just don't think so!
I have removed them all and run #14 wire directly
from Power pole connectors to the PC board.
Haven't had a problem since. <<<<<<<<

2016, still running same 30AMP Power Poles and
#14 gauge wire with no problems on the power
source side.  (Had to do the A9 total replacement, but that is another topic)
73,
Ben  WB2RHM