[TenTec] Amplifiers

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Nov 17 12:05:48 EST 2016

On Thu,11/17/2016 8:32 AM, rick at dj0ip.de wrote:
> but if you didn't own a Ten-Tec transceiver, there was no particular advantage in buying a Ten-Tec amp.

Doesn't quality matter?  I've owned the original Herc, two Herc IIs, and
three Titans. I still own the Titans and one of the Herc IIs. All are
VERY well designed products. Their only negative when comparing to the
top modern amps is their lack of automation, and to some extent,
protection of the output devices.

That original Herc was the first solid state amp, and it was built like
a tank. It was withdrawn as a product because Motorola stopped making
the output devices. It did have a problem with voltage regulation -- the
V+ supply increased as the power supply warmed up, and the protection
circuit kicked in. This is a problem they would have fixed if Motorola
had not knocked their feet out from under them. I solved it by adding a
muffin fan to the PSU.

73, Jim K9YC