[TenTec] TenTec Digest, Vol 167, Issue 24

Katz Ajamas ajamas.rn at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 13:14:30 EST 2016

Mike-

I already have an Eagle. IIRC it was $1600. It went back to TN twice, got
replaced, and the replacement had to go back once. I used it maybe a month
of the first 6 months owned. It was in TN the rest of the time. It's been
good since and I like it a lot.

Would I buy another? Not the same as I have now.

At a minimum another would have to have:
-RF noise from back light power supply corrected. The part is frequency
agile but not controlled.
-Fan cycling corrected. The temp sensor application ignores physics.
-Separate RX antenna.
-Band info available for switching antennas/amps, etc.
-Accurate up to date diagrams and BOM. I would still like this for my Eagle.

I would prefer:
No fans. Is Aluminum more expensive than fans?

My ham radio purchases since the Eagle:
-6kHz filter for the Eagle
-Softrock(~9MHz) to make a pan adapter
-MFJ-1025
-used Hercules II
-MFJ-9296

My station.
Eagle, MFJ1025, Herc2, Brown Bro Paddle/key, panadapter(I seldom use it),
MFJ9296, Johnson Matchbox, Inv V at 70' used on 80-6. 160m is Inv V fed as top
loaded vertical.

If my first Eagle would interface with a second Eagle for phase coherent TX
and RX using two antennas, I'd buy a second in a NY minute.
I'm imagining when ganged together the main tuning on the second could
steer the phase of the second relative to the first. It should be quite
popular with the solar minimum. The pair would be a whole lot easier and
not much more expensive than doing the same thing with what's available off
the shelf.

73, -Bob ah7i/w4