[TenTec] Bring back the corsair 2

rick@dj0ip.de Rick at DJ0IP.de
Wed Nov 23 14:42:49 EST 2016

Steve,
Did you try reducing the RF GAIN or turning on the ATTN on the 7300?

Also, I don't understand why you say "it isn't fair" to turn on the NR on
the 7300.
That's its tool.  The Corsair has other tools which you used (AF filter).

There is no question that the Corsair sounded better but maybe a pruning of
parameters on the 7300 might have decreased the difference.

In any case, I don't think there is any chance that anyone will ever build a
purely analog rig again, regardless of what the comparisons show.  Maybe
that will increase the resale value of Corsairs.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt, Germany)

-----Original Message-----
From: TenTec [mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com] On Behalf Of Steve
Ellington
Sent: Wednesday, November 23, 2016 8:00 PM
To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Bring back the corsair 2

I had a loaded K3s then bought an IC-7300 and the noise level was slightly
lower to the point that the K3s started gathering dust.
Recently I picked up a couple of Corsair II's having forgotten what they
were like. After listening to the Corsair II for a while the noise coming
from the IC-7300 sounds like Darth Vader's breathing. Just a few minutes ago
I tried to have a QSO with a guy and I was having a terrible time trying to
copy his CW. I switched to the Corsair II and felt total relief flood by
frazzled brain. I kicked in the 500 hz xtal filter. The noise actually goes
down instead of up as it does in DSP rigs. I then brought in about 50% audio
filtering and he sounded like a CPO...Remember those?

The Corsair II was the last of long like of analog rigs from TenTec. PLL and
DSP started creeping in and up came the noise.

Here's a couple of videos I made to help get the point across. Again let me
say that the 7300 is one of the quietest (modern) radios I've had and boy
does it sound noisy next to the Corsair II!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX8EWUcnvBU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LBbiXXRex8

It's frustrating. I don't want it to be this way. I want a receiver that's
better than the Corsair II. What to do?

steve n4lq