[TenTec] 229 A Antenna Tuner

rick@dj0ip.de Rick at DJ0IP.de
Wed Nov 30 17:25:10 EST 2016

It was WORTHLESS.  Don't use it.
I always used external baluns with my various Ten-Tec tuners.

You should use a 1:1 Guanella balun and don't let anyone tell you any
different.
The 4:1 many people recommend has just a fraction of the common mode
impedance of the 1:1.

The matching range of the 229 or 238 is wide enough and doesn't require a
4:1 to help with impedance matching.

Also, depending on the antenna, if it happens to be a low impedance anyway,
and you use a 4:1, you make the situation (for the matchbox) 4x worse,
potentially placing the impedance lower than the matchbox can match.  Most
matchboxes have their highest loss at very low impedances (under 20 Ohms) so
you don't want to artificially transform a higher impedance down lower than
20 Ohms.

If you want to read a bit more detail on this, you can read what W8JI and
G3TXQ and VK1OD have written on this.  I have links at the bottom of the
page on my web page:
http://www.dj0ip.de/balun-stuff/tuner-baluns/

For cheaper matchboxes with smaller impedance matching range, sometimes you
do need a 4:1 transformer but that should be in addition to the 1:1 Guanella
balun, not instead of.  In this case the 4:1 may be a voltage balun.  Its
only job is the impedance transformation.  The Guanella takes care of
blocking the common mode current.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt, Germany)