[TenTec] Opinions sought re OMNI VI

Lee lee at wa3fiy.com
Fri Oct 14 18:27:20 EDT 2016

John, you are correct, the OMNI VI does not fold back power output on
any amount of SWR.  The finals can be damaged or destroyed by over
current which may occur under worst case conditions of high SWR or for
other reason.  I have never had it happen nor am I aware of such a case
but it is possible.  If you use the "regulation" Ten-Tec power supply
(960, 961 or 962), the power supply protects the finals from over
current.

If you do not have or cannot find a 960, 961 or 962, replace the 25 amp
fuse on the rear panel with a 15 amp fast blow.  You may have to reduce
power output slightly to prevent blowing fuses when even if SWR is fine.

That will be a nice radio for the club.

73,

-Lee-

WA3FIY