[TenTec] Orion II and new 2K-FL amp

Al Gulseth wb5jnc at centurytel.net
Fri Oct 21 19:52:31 EDT 2016

First rule of troubleshooting: check the simple stuff first. Case in point: I
was at a local auto shop recently to get a new set of tires installed. A
couple of the mechanics were discussing a problem with a customer vehicle.
Prior to bringing the vehicle to them, the customer had installed a used
engine in it because it had an issue with gasoline getting into the oil.
Since the engine was from a different model year, the intake manifold had to
be swapped - and the problem persisted even with the replacement engine. The
tech who was being consulted appeared to be the resident "guru" on that
particular line of vehicles. After hearing the above saga, he told the other
tech to check the coolant temp sensor: if it was malfunctioning, it could
cause the computer to think the vehicle was "in the Arctic" (if I remember
his comments right) and thus would be triggered into dumping way more gas
into the mix than normal. My guess is that changing a coolant temp sensor in
the first place would have been a LOT less expensive than an engine swap....

73, Al