[TenTec] Scads of used Icom IC-7300

Gary J FollettDukes HiFi dukeshifi at comcast.net
Sat Sep 10 01:04:25 EDT 2016

Companies don’t take back equipment that does not perform to buyers’ expectations. They are only required to honor warranties for defects in parts or workmanship, NOT defects in design. They meet their published specifications and get great bench top lab test results that do not describe actual performance.

Thus the only recourse for buyer’s remorse is fire sale pricing to recoup SOME of their investments.

No one in their right mind would pay more than 75% of new price for a used item, regardless of what it might be. Thus you see the bargain prices for what is indeed an entry level radio with lots of great features and marginal RF performance.

16 bit Analog to Digital direct conversion with no (or poor) band limiting input filters is a sure-fire formula for performance disaster. Icom admits this fact in their “solution” to the overload problem - use a preselector.

As I said previously, IP3 means nothing in a radio that has no mixers. Synthesizer phase noise rating means nothing in a radio that has no synthesizer. The fact that the 7300 “shines” in these characteristics in lab tests says nothing about real performance and new standards need to be developed to assess performance of direct digital conversion designs.

The “first adopters” of this particular model found this out for themselves on the air and found the results very disappointing. That’s why they sell them after a few weeks of use.

Gary

W0DVN