[TenTec] Scads of used Icom IC-7300

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sun Sep 11 17:21:34 EDT 2016

On Sun,9/11/2016 2:04 PM, Gary J FollettDukes HiFi wrote:
> I understand and appreciate this discussion of NOISE dynamic range. This does not explain how one can get SIGNAL dynamic range higher than ~96 dB with 16 bits. These are different quantities.
>
> If the A to D has say, 1 mV per bit response, then the largest input signal this 16 bit A to D can measure should be ~65,000 mV. That’s about 96 dB.

Hi Gary,

I worked in pro audio, and thought the same thing you have stated here.
But there's far more to it than that -- it's not a simple A/D, it's a
far more complex (and very different) circuit. My neighbor NR0V, who
developed the "Pure Signal" distortion cancelling system, went through
it with me. I'm not a digital guy, so I don't remember details. But the
bottom line is that these systems get another 20-30 dB more dynamic
range than for a simple A/D. I'm sure that if we had time, you or I
could learn a lot about it by poking around the internet. :) Someday I
probably will, but my plate is currently full working on an update for
several chapters of the ARRL Handbook. And when I finish with that, I'm
sure the XYL will have something for me to do. :)

73, Jim K9YC