[TenTec] Scads of used Icom IC-7300

rick@dj0ip.de Rick at DJ0IP.de
Tue Sep 13 16:21:19 EDT 2016

Oh, I see Jim, you were using the carrier detected switching.

We didn't do that.

We had them installed in the RX antenna loop (the mod with 2x RCA Phono
Jacks to the back panel).
They were not switched at all; always in-line.

As I said, you guys in the states don't realize how lucky you are... or
were.
The condx here were so miserable and everyone in our contesting team
modified their radios to accept pre-selectors.
Most built our Bavarian Contest Club Preselector... the design MFJ copied.
I of course had an original Braun, a home-brew Braun cline, and my 40m
tunable.
You could connect both the preselector and the ANC-4 to the pair of jacks
(in series).

It really helps a lot to have this mod in the radio.
Of course the K3 has it by default, (perhaps) because when I created the mod
for my K2 and sent it to Eric, it somehow found its way into the K3.

Jack implemented it into the OM7 and Eagle as a result of audio files I sent
him showing the difference it makes.

IN THE MEANTIME, things have gotten a lot better here.
Our receivers got a lot better, our 40m ham band was expanded from 100 to
200 KHz, and all of the shortwave broadcast stations had to move above 7200.
Radio China used to sit within our 100 kHz ham band.

As a result of Orion, K3, 7800, etc., our preselectors disappeared . . . at
least for a while.
It looks like we will be dragging them out again for the new SDR radios.
One step forward, two steps back.

Hopefully I am wrong, as I have not played with any of the new SDR
technology radios (one exception).
Obviously the 6500s and 6700s won't need the preselector.

I keep watching the BCC reflector after every major contest to see if there
is any feedback on using SDRs.
Last year we had one station reporting using two 6500s.  Had mixed feelings.
RX was outstanding but ergonomics left a lot to be desired.  Others are very
slow to take the risk.  They don't want to risk not making a high score in
the big contests.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt, Germany)