[TenTec] Orion

Fernando n2fq at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 16 12:59:25 EDT 2016

Hello. I thought I’d throw this in as it can clarify somethings.
From the manual.

 Please refer to the discussion of filtering in
Chapter 1. ORION provides for up to seven
available mode-appropriate I-F roofing
filters , not to be confused with traditional
bandwidth filtering as provided for in DSP.
Optional roofing filters of 1.8 kHz, 500 Hz,
and 250 Hz in the ORION need to be
activated to be used by the operator.
Please note: If you activate an optional filter
position and no filter is installed, the radio
will mute on receive!
Activating the optional filters is simple. For
each of the 1.8 kHz, 500 Hz, and/or 250 Hz
optional filters that you have installed, use
the MULTI knob to change the setting from
“no” to “yes”.
Roofing filters can automatically be selected
by the radio or the operator has the option of
override to select one specific filter to be
 used at all times. The available choices are
20 kHz, 6 kHz, 2.4 kHz, 1.8 kHz (if installed),
1 kHz, 500 Hz (if installed), 250 Hz (if
installed).
For automatic selection of appropriate
roofing filters, put the Xtal Filter  setting on
AUTO. When using the DSP BW filtering in
the ORION (see description of (41) PBT
B/W ENCODER  in Chapter 2), as a
threshold for each filter is crossed, the
roofing filters will automatically be selected.
Example: After selecting AUTO, press
MENUS to exit out of the menu system and
return to normal radio operation. As the
DSP bandwidth is narrowed, the filters will
be selected or de-selected at a value
somewhat below that of the roofing filter.
For example: the threshold where the 6 kHz
filter switches out to the 2.4 kHz filter in
AUTO mode is 2000 Hz. At 1990 Hz DSP
BW, the 2.4 kHz filter is active. At 2000 Hz,
the 6 kHz roofing filter is active. On the
screen, the roofing filter is represented by a
horizontal line on top of the DSP BW filter
shape. The line will widen or narrow as the
roofing filters switch in and out.
It is possible to override the AUTO setting
and use one specific filter at all times. To do
so, turn the MULTI knob while Xtal Filter  is
is highlighted in the menu and pick a roofing
filter. Regardless of DSP BW setting, this
selected filter will be in use as the roofing
filter. Remember: optional roofing filters,
must be installed and enabled. Selecting a
non-installed filter will mute the receiver. If
selecting an installed optional filter that is
not enabled, the next highest value will be
the actual filter in use.
Each of the 250 Hz and 500 Hz optional
roofing filters used in ORION must be
centered. While DSP very accurately repeat
from unit to unit, crystal filters do not
because of individual unit manufacturing
tolerances. Set your CW offset to desired
value via the CW MENU . Tune in a carrier
of reasonable strength (S7 is good), at your
CW offset. Use the Xtal Filter  control in the
menu to select the filter you want to center.
Then move down to either 500 Hz C.F. Adj
 or 250 Hz C.F. Adj  depending on your filter
selection. Adjust the MULTI knob for a
received signal peak. You will not have to
 re-adjust these unless you do a subsequent
master reset of the radio.

Fernando N2FQ/6
n2fq at sbcglobal.net