[TenTec] Preselector for SDR

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri Sep 16 17:17:04 EDT 2016

On Fri,9/16/2016 9:28 AM, Rich Jones via TenTec wrote:
> QEX magazine May/June 2008 M0MWA presents a computer controlled turnable bandpass filter (preselector)

There is an important difference between a pre-selector and a bandpass
filter, at least for the application that Rick has raised -- it's
bandwidth.  The issue that he has raised, and it can be a VERY big deal
in some parts of the world, is that there are high power broadcast
stations either within or quite close to some ham bands. This condition
exists in EU and AS on 40M, and in various parts of the world on 20M.
Bandpass filters are, in general, designed to have very low SWR
throughout the band of interest, and to reject the adjacent ham bands.
Their alignment is fixed (adjusted on the bench with a swept analyzer,
preferably a VNWA so that it also displays return loss). Their skirts
are rarely very steep, and I've seen none that are steep enough to
reject those strong BC stations adjacent to 20M. The BC stations on 40M
are INSIDE the passband of 40M  bandpass filters.

To work in these conditions, the filter must have very high Q, and must
be tunable, and there must be sections for each band that can be
switched as needed. THIS is what we generally call a pre-selector.

73, Jim K9YC