[TenTec] Omni VI filters

Stan Gammons s_gammons at charter.net
Mon Aug 7 01:34:22 EDT 2017

On 08/06/2017 10:58 PM, Ken Brown wrote:

> The other thing that really matters is the spectral distribution of the
> noise and signal power within the filter bandpass. For example if the power
> of the noise or the signal is distributed uniformly across the whole 2.4
> kHz bandwidth of the filter, then it would be perfectly normal for the S
> meter reading to drop by a factor of 1.8 / 2.4 when switching from the 2.4
> kHz filter to the 1.8 kHz filter.

Hi Ken,

The S meter does not drop when switching from 2.4 to 1.8  The S meter
increases around 2 S units or so when going from 2.4 to 1.8 With the
narrower 500 Hertz filter, the S meter is the same as it is with the 2.4
filter.  Since I'm not familiar with the Omni VI, I don't know if it has
any compensation for the narrow 2nd IF filters.  Guess I need to read
the manual :)

73

Stan
KM4HQE