[TenTec] Some Apparent Problems With Computer Control With My Argonaut VI RIgs

Steve Berg wa9jml at frontier.com
Thu Dec 28 20:14:03 EST 2017

I have been trying to use different software to control my Argonaut VI
rigs that I use with VHF transverters.  It seems that when I plug a USB
Cable into the back of the radios, and turn on the rig, and then turn on
the computer, the computer loads the device driver, and this seems to
affect the SSB and AM modes of the receiver, but not so much when it is
run on CW.  There seems to be a great deal of popping noise, and
distortion so that I cannot even copy stations or beacons when using LSB
or USB.  The noise is there even on CW, but it is much less.  This
renders my Argo VI radios useless on voice or digital modes.  When I
unplug the USB cable, the noise stops or is greatly reduced.  It does
this with USB cables that are plain but shielded, and with those with
ferrite chokes installed.  This has been plaguing my station for
months.  Does anyone have any ideas on what is happening?  I have 3 Argo
VI rigs, one with the older driver, and two with the newer driver.  It
works the same on all three radios.

Help?

Steve WA9JML

---