[TenTec] EAGLE II Features: (?)

Ed lawson elawson at grizzy.com
Mon Feb 20 13:42:11 EST 2017

On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 16:30:38 +0100
"rick at dj0ip.de" <Rick at DJ0IP.de> wrote:

> What should Eagle II look like?

My $.02 from 35,000 ft.

As a run of the mill ham, I believe Rick has made good points on what
would be a good radio to appeal to folks like me.  I suppose I am one
of those who like a niche radio as I want an uncluttered front panel,
easy to use size and a radio that works well and is easy to listen to.
Not sure such a radio is going to be produced by the big three or four
so I am inclined to go with TT if possible.  Which is one way of
saying,that despite their features and performance, neither the
TS-590SG nor the 7300 appeal to me all that much.

I guess I have used TT gear on and off for over 20 years, but have
never thought of myself as a TT fan and I only joined this group
recently.  I have liked my Argo V quite a bit and used it a
great deal over the years...still do, but I don't expect it to be
something it is not.

I thought about the Eagle for awhile and while the performance was
obviously there, the reality is that for me the size/ergonomics were
just as important to me and it was not what I was looking for even
though it was similar to the Argo V in that regard. I was tempted by
the fire sale prices on the Eagle, but something did not seem right so I
passed. Basically I wanted something a little bigger and closer to the
Omni VII. So I continue to pass on the the used Eagles and recently
settled for a Jupiter till I see what TT produces. From an everyday/run
of mill ham viewpoint, the size and ergonomics of the Jupiter is nice.
I have heard several non TT fans say they just enjoyed using a Jupiter
so I think an Eagle in Jupiter clothing would be a nice rig. Mike D.
talked about a "super" Omni VII which intrigues me as it sounded
like he was thinking along those lines.

For me, I have no need for a second receiver and if I want a spectrum
display I would much rather have the flexibility of running a program
on my computer than being stuck with some display on a radio.  I have
no need for a tuner either as I have a separate tuner which is handy
with my simple QRP rigs.  I just want a radio with an easy to see,
uncluttered display giving me the essentials, a modest array of
controls for the essentials, performs in a solid manner and is just
nice to listen to and use. If it does these things, I really do not
care if it is based on latest SDR tech or not.  All that really counts
is whether I enjoy using the radio and does it allow me to do the things
I like as a ham.

--
Ed Lawson
Ham Callsign:         K1VP