[TenTec] Phoenix

Darrell Bellerive ve7iu at runbox.com
Mon Feb 20 15:46:21 EST 2017

I would add to fix the noise blanker. The noise blanker becomes
ineffective with a strong signal on the band. For example, occasional
power line noise at my QTH is effectively removed by the noise blanker
on setting 2. However, if a strong signal is present on the band, the
noise will increase and decrease with that signal. This is most
noticeable with a strong CW signal. Tune to a portion of the band
without signals a few kHz away from a strong CW signal, with the noise
blanker on, the noise floor will follow the keying of the strong CW signal.

Also fix the firmware bugs, there are a few of them. One for example,
push the V/M button to go to memory mode. Tune through the memory
channels with the MULTI control. Stop at any channel. Now push the NB
button to turn on the noise blanker. Now turn the MULTI to change the
channel, nothing happens.

73, Darrell VE7IU

On 17-02-20 12:20 PM, Katz Ajamas wrote:
> Eagle from the ashes?
>
> I've made some noise about this in the past and feel the urge to toss some
> pennies in the pool on this go-around.
>
> TenTec's successes have come from innovation and niche in market.
>
> 1. Eagle is a fine radio. It sounds great, QSK works, and it's not all
> jammed up with layers of menu.
>
> Please fix exceptions.
>
> no RX antenna port..........add one
>
> noisy back light regulator............implement frequency agility of
> selected part or change the regulator.
>
> poor final temp management............get the temp monitors legs out of the
> fan air stream or change detection scheme.
>
> PITA wiring a connector for the accessory port.............Can the old DIN
> connector in favor of a RJ45. Put the audio in and out on 1/8" or a pair of
> RCA connectors.
>
> No band data....I'm told it's there but "too difficult to decode" because
> of design decisions. Fix this aspect of the control firmware.
>
> Old documentation....bring it up to date.

> Desired accessories:
>
> Bolt on 1:9 and 1:4 baluns to go with the tuner for use with balanced
> transmission line.Can sell these to go with the existing Eagle. Say $59.95
>
> Zero beat indicator or build it into the firmware.

Darrell Bellerive
VE7IU