[TenTec] < $2k radios and why I now have two eagles.

Katz Ajamas ajamas.rn at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 11:45:56 EST 2017

A quick look at some of what's on the market now.
Based solely on new and used 100W radios seen today on the Ham Radio Outlet
web site.
Price is rounded to nearest whole dollar.

In order of decreasing list price.....

model                advertised price after all rebates

FTDX3000D            1580 (active preselector units are ~$550)
Anan 100             1849
TS590SG              1270
TS2000               1390 (X model 1929)
Anan 100B            1474
FT991A               1390
IC7300               1300
TS480HX              1170
FTDX1200              970
TS480SAT              840 (810 for refurbed)
IC7100                920
IC7200                890
FT891                 700
IC718                 625
DX-SR9T               650
DX-SR8T               480

used/consignment (most come with additional accessories and power supply
and are + shipping  dash=location)

IC-781               1800
TS950S-ANA1          1500
IC-756PROII-SD1      1475
FT-1000MK5FIELD-ANA1 1300
FT-DX1200-TX2        1300
IC746PRO-SD1          950
FT950-CO2             850
TS590S-NH2            600
TS570-TX1             575
Corsair2-SD1(+VFO)    550
TS570-SD3             525

Not at HRO but have seen used:
eagles in $600 to $1500 range with most around $1000 to $1200;
ic7300 $900 to $1300.

If I were buying a new radio today, what would I get?
I've used both the IC7300 and the Kenwood TS590SG. The Kenwood wins based
on pleasant CW and ease of use. The built in feed line tuner is not so hot.
The IC7300 touch screen is a PITA to use, the pass band tuning will not let
me put the very low CW note that I like for weak signal by ear in the
passband.

I recently decided to quit messing around with putting an old Heath single
bander on CW for mobile, and traded for.....
a used Eagle. Now have two of them.

I looked at the TS480SAT as it's about the same $ as a used Eagle when CW
filter and tuner are considered. It's probably a better fit for mobile.
However, when considering ease of use in the pickup truck...I am already
familiar with the Eagle.

73, -Bob ah7i/w4